Donate to help this blog continue

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adult Onset A.D.D.

DSC06686

I never would have guessed that I would ever find myself facing such a thing as A.D.D. in my adult life, never having had it as a child, however it seems that is the case as I have recently discovered. 

I wonder what it is about labels and our need to apply them to everything these days?  Most likely A.D.D. has been around for years and years but someone decided it needed a label and thought one up.  This disorder is mostly associated with children, however there are those few adults who acquire the disorder during the latter part of their life.  I was just diagnosed as being “borderline” A.D.D., which by my standards, has always has always presented itself as a nervous contiion.

Of course when “diagnosed” or “labeled” with anything new, I immediately get online and research all there is to know about the recent affliction.  A.D.D., or Attention Deficit Disorder as I understand its definition, means that I am not able to pay attention to one task at a time and see it through to its completion; that I am easily sidetracked and that my thoughts are all over the place.  I have to admit, this is true, moreso now, than ever in the past, and while it can be hard to deal with at times, most of the time it just feels normal to me.  I do manage to get things done, maybe not all at once, but I do come back to them and get them finished.

If you ever feel like your life is spinning out of control in some direction and your thoughts are all jumbled and disorganized, research the possibility of A.D.D.  Even though it is just a label, I find I feel better knowing that there are exercises I can do to improve my brain function and ways to keep myself calm without the use of western medicine.

 

No comments: