Donate to help this blog continue

Saturday, January 24, 2015

WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT?


Why in the world, other than obvious health concerns surrounding obesity, is everyone so worried about their weight? It seems the entire U.S. is either on a diet, searching for the next “fad” diet, purchasing diet plans and/or products, or just constantly complaining about wanting to lose weight. Our country is consistently advertising diet sodas (which, by the way, is an extreme oxymoron), diet pills, prepackaged diet foods, various “non” sugars or substitutes, etc. I cannot say I am without having tried to accomplish weight loss myself from time to time, but society's guidelines, as well as their expectations, are very unrealistic.
Americans have become such “foodies” that they make easy targets for the media. If you are overweight, then you know you need to lose weight to avoid, and/or correct health issues...this is not news to you. However, if you are just one of those people who don't like what they see in the mirror, then there are some questions you need to answer first.
1: Am I at a healthy weight for my height and bone structure?
2. Am I at risk for health issues?
3. Is there a medical problem which hinders my weight loss progress?
4. Is my dislike for my body based on what others have said about/to me?
5. Do I lack self-respect?
6. Am I using food to fulfill emptiness?
7. Do I eat just to satisfy boredom?
If the answers to questions 1, 2 or 3 are yes, then it is highly advisable that you seek out medical assistance with your weight loss plan. If the answers to questions 4 through 7 are yes (any of them), then here are a few things to know: You DESERVE to look and feel good about yourself. You DESERVE to be healthy and happy. You DESERVE to love yourself and value only your opinion of yourself and not those of the people in your life. You DESERVE the best that life has to offer.
If you look in the mirror and are not happy with what you see, then DO something about it, but please do it smart. Don't “diet” when it is much simpler and healthier to change your eating habits. Make a lifestyle change, because all too often when you diet to lose weight, 9 times out of ten you always go right back to your poor eating habits when you either feel you have lost enough weight or have given up. I decided to make that change and merely adjusted the way I eat. I don't eat food after 6 o'clock pm, I eat small portions, I eat healthy and balance meals and I cut out things like Soda, potato chips, and pretty much all processed foods. I make my meals from scratch most of the time and I know most of you are poo-pooing that idea, but you can take a day and make a lot of meals and freeze them in individual portions, that way you just pop one out of the freezer after work, microwave, and eat. These are just a few tips, but to tailor a plan that is right for you, do a lot of research on the foods you want to eat.
Exercise is important for your body. Not just to burn calories but your body is made to move and your muscles stay healthy when you use them, especially your heart. I know a lot of you don't like to exercise, but walking, even if you go to the local thrift store and purchase a small treadmill, is an excellent source of both muscle tone and cardio. I walk at least 15 minutes a day if I can. I have been doing it for months now and have built myself up to walking over 3 miles each time. I almost feel as though something is missing if I don't get my exercise for the day. Yes, if you are not used to doing it, it will take some effort to get it started, but make sure you incorporate it into your lifestyle change because you not only want to lose weight, but you want to get your muscles back in shape and stay fit as well.
Start your day with positive affirmations. Wake up each morning, thankful for the new day and the clean slate, and say to yourself, “I love myself...I am worth it...I deserve only the best...and I will settle for nothing less.” I have found a few videos that I watch when I wake up and before I go to sleep that help my subconscious mind realize what an awesome person I am. Below is a link to the main video I watch and the others will follow off of that link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGo7UR70Wts
Be healthy America, but do it for YOU!














No comments: